Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Pain in the neck

I have had a sore neck for a while now, going on about 2-3 months. I am no stranger to soreness. It seems as though I am perpetually sore because I left weights 4 days a week. But whether it's muscle soreness or a strain or a pull, it will eventually subside. This neck issue just keeps hanging around. Not only is it incredibly sore after I teach my cardio class, it makes a clicking noise when I turn my head, which was my main source of concern.

So I decided it was time to go in and get it looked at. I went to a physical therapist who also does "dry needling", as recommended by my friend and lifting partner who has been seeing her for a number of weeks because of a shoulder injury. Apparently these are small needles similar to the ones they use for acupuncture. And what happens is that when they are inserted, the body reacts as though there is injury there and then more blood flow to the area results in faster healing.

I was a tad nervous at first, mainly because I really just didn't want anything to be seriously wrong. Although I figured that it was probably just something muscle related.

So yesterday I went and she put this funky head gear on me and had me tilt my head in various directions to see what my range of motion was like. (I have a slightly limited ability to tilt to the right and down to my chest) With the results of that test and also through feeling different pressure points in my neck and upper back, she was able to establish with almost 100% certainty that I had a lot of tightness in my trap muscle, particularly on the left side. Bingo. That's the side that is the most sore and also the side of my neck that clicks.

She did a treatment on me, releasing what she called "frozen peas" all over the area. She told me I was "pulsing like crazy" in certain areas. And I'm guess she is able to feel that where I need pressure released. It felt amazing. Then came the needling.

I honestly wasn't apprehensive at all about it, despite the fact that she was about to stick 12-14 needles in my neck and back. I told her to just go for it, I was ready. And to my surprise, most of them I barely felt at all. There were a couple zingers, especially around the shoulder blades, but overall I felt very good after. Today I am a bit sore (she told me that was to be expected). But I was able to get through my lifting session today, which just so happened to be back. Of course...

I go again for another dry needling treatment and some physical therapy exercises on Friday. And again in two weeks. I'm hoping for some improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment