Thursday, April 27, 2017

Screw your diet, I want donuts!


I attempted a healthy "donut" yesterday. There are soooo many recipes out there to try and a lot are very similar to each other, only small variances in the ingredients. So I took a little from this and a little from that and ended up with my own concoction. Here's how they turned out! Not bad ;)

I liked the taste of the white donuts better. Here's the recipe...

Ingredients:

1/3 cup coconut flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3 TBSP coconut sugar
pinch salt
4 eggs
1 tsp almond extract (or vanilla)
2 TBSP coconut oil, heated to liquid form
1/4 cup almond milk

Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl. In another small bowl, mix wet ingredients. Combine. Grease a donut pan (I got mine at Target, Aisle B33) and pour in the batter.

Bake at 350 for 14 minutes. Let cool in pan for about 5 minutes, then take the donuts out and let them cool completely on wire rack before dunking in frosting of your choice.

*This will make six but if you fill them a little less full, you could probably get 7, and have nice holes in the middle. I had to cut away some of the access in the hole after they were baked but not by much and I liked the size, so I would stick with 6.

Frosting - I was going to make a healthy version of frosting too, but this was towards the end of the day and I was tired and cranky and just wanted to get it done so my family could try them out. ;) The donuts were super quick and easy. The frosting is just as quick.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
2 TBSP butter
2 tsp water
2 tsp light corn syrup

Put in microwave safe bowl and microwave in 20 second increments, stirring between each, until smooth. Dunk or drizzle donuts and add sprinkles for a fun touch.

So good! And probably a bit healthier than a fried donut :)

Nutrition Facts: (just the donut)
Per donut - pan makes 6

Calories: 125
Fat: 12
Carb: 9.3
Fiber: 2.4
Sugar: 7
Protein: 5

Nutrition Facts with the glaze:
(per donut)

Calories:180
Fat: 15.8
Carb: 16.5
Fiber: 2.5
Sugar: 12
Protein: 5

(not counting sprinkles)

There you have it!!

p.s. I wanted to let you know that I painstakingly calculate all of the nutritional information in my recipes myself. I add up the entire batch and then divide it by how many servings I get, so it should be very accurate. I don't trust the online calculators because sometimes they are way off.




No comments:

Post a Comment